Dr. Baird recently retired (2019) as an Associate Clinical Professor at the University of Kansas Medical Center and Director of Global Health. Her primary teaching duties included Population and Global Health and the core courses in the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program. She is board certified as a Clinical Nurse Specialist in Child and Adolescent Mental Health.
She has been an active member of the TCNS since 2005. In 2007 she received the TCNS Research Award to complete an ethnography titled, Resettlement Transition Experiences of South Sudanese Refugee Women. She was certified as a transcultural nurse advanced (CTN-A) in 2009 and founded the Midwest Chapter of the TCNS. In 2014 she was inducted as a Scholar in the TCNS and served as an Associate Editor for the Journal Transcultural Nursing from 2014-2018.
Dr. Baird’s research has primarily focused on the health of immigrant and refugee populations. She has conducted research with African refugees from South Sudan and nurse midwives in Uganda. She has published translated and culturally adapted versions of several mental health instruments into refugee languages for use in her research. In 2013-2014 she participated in the Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma: Global Mental Health. In 2018 she was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship in Uganda where she taught theory and research methods to graduate nursing students at Uganda Christian University. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of a refugee resettlement program in Kansas City, Missouri, the Jewish Vocational Services.
Languages spoken, read/write*:
English and beginning Spanish
- Boyle, J. S., Baird, M. B, & Collins, J. W. (2019). Culture, family, & community. In M. M. Andrews & J. S. Boyle (Eds.) Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care (8th ed.). Wolters Kluwer: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia.
- Boyle, J. S. & Baird, M. B. (2019). Boyle/Baird Transcultural Nursing Assessment Guide for Refugees, E 1-4. In M. M. Andrews & J. S. Boyle (Eds.) Transcultural Concepts in Nursing Care (8th Ed.). Wolters Kluwer: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia.
- Baird, M.B., Whitney, L. & Caedo, C. (2018). Experiences and Attitudes Among Psychiatric Mental Health Advanced Practice Nurses (PMH-APRNs) In the Use of Telemental Health (TMH): Results of An Online Survey. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. Advance online publication. 24(3), 235-240 Doi: 10.1177/1078390317717330
- Baird, M. B, Bimali, M., Cott, A., Brimacombe, M., Petty, TR, & Daley, C. M. (2017). Methodological Challenges in Conducting Research with Refugee Women. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 38(4), 344-351Doi: 10.1080/01612840.2017.1291775.online @ http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01612840.2017.1291775
- Baird, M. B. & Reed, P. G. (2015). Liminality in cultural transition: Applying ID-EA to advance a concept into theory-based practice. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice: An International Journal, 29(1), 25-36.
I will serve as the Vice-president of the Board of Trustees Transcultural Nursing Society for the next two years (2020 to 2021). I look forward to extending the reach of our Society globally by partnering with other organizations that value diversity and advocate for human rights. I will continue to provide consultation, education, and collaboration with universities, healthcare and community organizations in the United States and abroad. My goal is to educate nurses and health providers in low resource countries with the knowledge and tools needed to provide sustainable healthcare to their communities.