Last Updated: May 2018
The Transcultural Nursing Society (“TCNS”) respects you and understands how important the privacy of your personal information is to you. We are committed to honoring your privacy. TCNS is committed to developing or utilizing technology that gives you the most powerful and secure online experience. Personal information collected by TCNS will only be used to conduct business with its customers, will not be sold, and will not be shared with others except as identified below.
You can visit our corporate site at www.TCNS.org to learn more about TCNS or to obtain contact information.
The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for this Website: www.TCNS.org
What Information Do We Collect?
We may collect and store information that you have voluntarily provided to us. During the various application processes, you will be asked to provide us with identifying information such as your name, address, phone, fax, email address, license number, state in which you are licensed, specialty, profession, date of birth, billing information, and credit card information. In addition to personally identifiable information, TCNS also collects aggregated non-personal identifiable information such as demographics.
Information that is required is clearly labeled as such, as is information that is optional and may be given at your discretion.
When you browse our Web site, you do so anonymously.
Access to your Personal Information
We will provide you with the means to ensure that your personal information is correct and current. You may review and update this information at any time by contacting the TCNS by email/phone/letter or through our website www.tcns.org . To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as name/address/email/phone, before granting access to your data.
Correction of Information We Have About You
If you believe that there are errors in the information associated with your account, or updates need to be made, you may change your personal information any time. Applicants should contact TCNS at email@example.com .
Information from Outside Sources
We may also collect additional information about an applicant/certificant from third party sources in order to verify identity and licensure status.
How Do We Use the Information?
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To make the site easier for you to use by not making you enter your personal information more than once.
- To deliver services that you request or purchase.
- To help you effectively complete requirements relevant to the TCNS and TCNCC Certification application and renewal process.
- To help us create and publish content most relevant to you.
- To alert you of product upgrades, special offers, updated information and other new services provided from TCNS.
- To provide feedback in an online survey.
- To appropriately target marketing efforts and/or promotional offers.
- To request assistance or fill out support requests.
- TCNS’s Customer Support staff or technology partners will have internal access to files containing personally identifiable information, including evaluation forms and aggregated CE information. These files can be accessed in order to respond to your questions or comments. TCNS’s staff may also use personally identifiable information, including application information and assessing and evaluating educational or professional development activities.
Who Do We Share the Information With?
We never sell or rent your personal information. TCNS may disclose some kinds of personal information with third parties as described below:
- Legal Requirements—we may release account and other personal information when we believe it is required to do so by law or regulation, or in good faith to (a) comply with legal processes served on the site, or (b) protect the rights and property of TCNS, or (c) where our records indicate fraudulent activity or other deceptive practices that a governmental agency should be made aware of, or (d) where your communication suggests possible harm to others.
- Other Organizations—TCNS has strategic relationships with other companies (SAGE Publications/Journal of Transcultural Nursing/Editorial Office) who may offer products and services on the site(s). If you interact with these organizations, their Privacy Policies and rules may apply to the interactions.
- Consent—we may release personally identifiable information to a third party in accordance with your consent, subject to the purposes and limits we disclose when we request your consent.
We use personal information to reply to inquiries, handle complaints, provide operational notices, keep records up to date to notify you via periodic e-mails of technical service issues, specials, or other related product/service information. Your information may be shared with agents or contractors of TCNS for the purpose of performing service for TCNS.
TCNS is committed to data security with respect to information collected. We offer the industry standard security measures available through your browser called encryption.
Security of your Personal Information
TCNS strictly protects the security of your personal information. We carefully protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Your personal information is never shared outside the company without your permission, except under conditions explained above. Inside the company, data is stored in password-controlled servers with limited access. You also have a significant role in protecting your information. No one can see or edit your personal information so do not share these with others.
We use encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive data such as credit card and personal information. SSL is used on the website for online applications, and file attachments are encrypted with passwords in emails when there is personal information involved. Credit card numbers are only used for processing payment and are not used for other purposes. TCNS does not transmit or store credit card information in their online systems. Credit card information is handled by payment processing systems (PNC Bank/First Data Processing). Our efforts, as well as yours, to protect credit card fraud help protect your financial data security.
Our Web site(s) are not setup to track, collect or distribute personal information. Our site may generate certain kinds of non-identifying site usage data, such as number of hits and visits to our sites. This information is used for internal purposes only. The statistics contain no personal information and cannot be used to gather such information.
Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you and can only be read by a Web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies or to control whether you are notified each time a cookie is sent to you. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of TCNS services or Web sites you visit. The Help section of your browser will tell you how to prevent your browser form accepting cookies.
Although cookies do not normally contain personally identifiable information, if you are a registered user of the Web site, we may elect to associate your registration information with cookies that the site(s) place(s) on your computer’s hard drive.
We also may use Web beacons to collect non-personally identifiable information about your use of the site(s), as well as your use of special promotions or newsletters that we send to you. Web beacons are tiny graphic image files, embedded in a Web page in GIF, JPG, or HTML format, that provide a presence on the Web page and send back to its home server (which can belong to the host site, a network advertiser, or some other third party) information from a user’s browser, such as the IP address, the URL of the page on which the beacon is located, the type of browser that is accessing the site, and the ID number of any cookies on the user’s computer that were previously placed by that server.
Web beacons can also be used to place a cookie on the user’s computer. The information collected by Web beacons allows the statistical monitoring of (i) how many people are using the site(s) and what actions they are taking on the site(s), and (ii) how many people open TCNS emails. Our Web beacons are not used to track your activity outside of the site(s) or those of the sponsors of the site(s). We do not link non-personally identifiable information from Web beacons to personally identifiable information without your permission.
We are committed to protecting the safety and privacy of children. TCNS site(s) are designed and intended for use by adults, and are not intended for, or designed to be used by children under the age of 13. Parents who wish to allow their children access to and use of the Web site/Services should supervise such access and use. By allowing your child access to the Services you are allowing your child access to all of the Services, including, but not limited to, email, bulletin boards, chat areas, news groups, forums and/or other message or communication facilities. It is therefore your responsibility to determine which services are appropriate for your child. Always use caution when revealing personally identifiable information about yourself or your children via any of the Services. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we know is a child.
Newsletters and Other Information
This site may use newsletters, chat rooms, discussion boards, forums, and/or news groups available to its users. If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter, we ask for contact information such as your name and email address. You may opt out of these communications.
If you use the public forums, please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
- Discussion Boards: When you post a message to a discussion board on one of the sites, your alias will be available for all registered users to see. An alias consists of your username, specialty and geographic information and other information you agree to show in a profile to others. You should not post any information to one of our discussion boards or other public forums if you want to keep such information private or you are required by law to keep such information private. Information you post to discussion boards is considered public information.
- Tools: Clinical tools may be available on some of the Professional Sites. These tools may require you to provide information for the tools to operate (for example, a clinical simulation that allows you to enter clinical data). These tools may store information that you provide on our servers.
- Additional Forms and Emails: We may also ask you to provide additional information after you register if you want to obtain additional services or information or to resolve complaints or concerns.
From time-to-time we request information from users via surveys. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information typically includes contact information. Anonymous Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this site or the services offered by TCNS.
Notification of Changes
We value your comments and opinions. If you have questions, comments or a complaint about compliance, you can contact us at: