Advanced Transcultural Nursing Criteria (Initial Certification Five Years)
- Hold a current, active, unrestricted RN License in a state or territory of the United States or the professional, legally recognized equivalent in another country.
- Hold a master’s, post-master’s, or doctorate in nursing, education, philosophy, or related field from a program accredited by the Collegiate Commission of Nursing (CCNE or NLNAC) if the school is in the U.S.; or legally recognized equivalent in another country.
- Currently employed or self-employed in nursing, either full or part-time, at the time of application.
- Completed at least one course (didactic and/or clinical) in cultural diversity and promotion of cultural competence for a minimum of 3 credits (or equivalent of 42 Continuing Education Contact Hours/Units).
- Completed 2400 hours of transcultural nursing practice as a registered nurse in administrative, teaching, research, or clinical capacity, either full or part-time during the five years prior to submitting the application.
Three of the five criteria listed below are required. The bulleted descriptions are meant as examples of documentable activities, and are neither exhaustive nor all required to meet the particular criteria.
- Evidence of professional growth in TCN
a. Attendance at classes, workshops, conferences
b. Conducting classes, workshops, and conferences
c. Accumulation of continuing education in TCN knowledge
- Evidence of creative and innovative ways to promote and maintain TCN practice
a. Short summary of endeavors
b. Multimedia showing TCN practice in action
- Evidence of research in TCN
a. Research projects or grants
b. Ongoing research, funded or community projects
c. Published materials
- Evidence of substantive or unique contributions made to advance TCN
a. Community projects
b. Teaching and mentoring
- Evidence of TCN leadership in teaching, research, or consultation to improve care in diverse cultures
a. Letters of support from students, employers, etc.
b. Letters from other nurses
c. Multidisciplinary leadership in programs, panel presentations, etc.
Description of Practice
The CTN-A practices in diverse settings including primary care, acute care, community settings, rural/remote area nursing, and long-term care across the life span and is actively engaged in education (e.g. patient, staff, students, and colleagues), case management, clinical practice, consultation, research, and/or administration.
Advanced Certification TCNS Member $325 USD
Advanced Certification TCNS Non-Member $450 USD
To Complete the Online Advanced Certification Application (CTN-A) and Online Payment - Click the Appropriate Button!
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED TO COMPLETE THE ADVANCED CERTIFICATION APPLICATION FORM
- ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE APPLICATION FORM CLICK CONTINUE ON THE CONFIRMATION PAGE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- ONCE THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED YOU WILL BE DIRECTED HOW TO COMPLETE THE PAYMENT PROCESS
- APPLICATIONS ARE NOT PROCESSED UNTIL PAYMENT HAS BEEN RECEIVED
- You may also complete the form and mail into our offices!
QUESTIONS CAN BE DIRECTED TO STAFF@TCNS.ORG