TCNS Leininger Award
Leininger Transcultural Nursing AwardClick here for a list of past recipients.
The Leininger Transcultural Nursing Award was established in 1983 to recognize outstanding and creative leaders in transcultural
nursing. This prestigious award will continue as the Leininger Transcultural Nursing Award under the auspices of the Transcultural
Nursing Society in Madeleine Leininger’s honor.
Presentation of the award will be made at the Transcultural Nursing Society Annual Conference. The awardee is expected to be
present to receive the award and to give a response. The awardee will also provide a 250-word statement of the meaningfulness of
the award as it relates to his or her work in transcultural nursing. All national and international leaders in transcultural nursing are
encouraged to apply.
Awardees of the Leininger Transcultural Nursing Award will provide evidence of the following:
- Outstanding contributions in two selected areas of transcultural nursing expertise for example, teaching, published research,
theory development, clinical community practice, administration (academic or service), or in transcultural nursing consultation.
- Creative and unique leadership to advance transcultural nursing knowledge and to support culturally competent care practices.
- Local, regional, national, and/or global leadership efforts that encourage recognition and value of transcultural nursing publicly
and professionally in order to improve people care among diverse and similar cultures.
- Active leadership and two years continuous membership in the Transcultural Nursing Society that promotes the mission and
goals of the Society.
- The applicant may either be nominated by another person or self-nominated.
- Each applicant is to submit to the Transcultural Nursing Society Central Office the following:
- Documentation for declared two areas of expertise (see Criterion 1), showing supportive evidence for each area of
- Submission of at least two letters of support from nursing colleagues (preferably from transcultural nurses), who can
attest to the nominee’s leadership contributions related to the criteria.
- Evidence of being an active member of the Transcultural Nursing Society with a history of membership for at least two
- Submission of any other documents the applicant feels are important to substantiate leadership activities related to the
criteria, such as leadership for transcultural workshops; initiating transcultural nursing research projects, courses, or
programs; presenting papers at transcultural nursing or other nursing conferences; establishing clinical field experiences;
providing transcultural nursing consultation; publishing transcultural nursing articles that facilitate public awareness of
transcultural nursing, and/or supporting transcultural interdisciplinary endeavors.
Applicants for the year 2017-2018 award must send one copy of all documents together or by email as a mini portfolio to the Transcultural
Nursing Society Central Office posted date by July 15, 2018.
Lisa A. Dobson
Director of Operations
Transcultural Nursing Society
36600 Schoolcraft Rd.
Livonia, MI 48150-1176